Magneto-Caloric Refrigeration for Efficient Electric Air Conditionning
- Framework: FP7
- Type: STREP
- Status: Completed
- Category: Electrification (FEV/PHEV)
- End Date: 30/04/2014
- Vehicles: Passenger cars, Trucks, and Buses
- Website: http://www.ice-project.webs.upv.es/
ICE is focused on the development of a new air conditioning and heat pump system based on the Magneto Caloric heat pump and a on the redesign of the cabin air conditioning.
A IVECO ALTRA Electric bus has been selected as demonstrator vehicle: it is a challenging application, is commercially available and is in use. The project major contents are Efficient electric Magneto Caloric heat pump (COP > 5 in cooling mode) using high efficiency magnetic materials, smart design and high performance heat exchangers.
Redesign of the thermal power distribution: a coolant loop distributes locally the thermal power Microclimate control system based on thermal comfort and able to control the system considering the occupants’ number.
- The project results will be validated installing the system on an electrical bus and testing it also with road tests.
- The project includes also a dissemination and exploitation activity to promote the application of the ICE on passenger cars and other vehicles.