Innovation Fund Stakeholder Consultation Event
On 13 June 2023 from 10.00 to 17.00 CEST, the European Commission’s DG Climate Action will host a hybrid Stakeholder Consultation Event: Innovation Fund: Stakeholder Consultation Event on the next calls for proposals.
Following the amendment of the ETS Directive, the event will provide an update on the accomplishments and developments of the Innovation Fund and receive input from stakeholders on potential future calls for proposals. Sector-specific stakeholders will have a chance to weigh in on the design of the 2023 Innovation Fund call for proposals at the event.
The programme is as follow:
- 09:30 – 10:00 Registration & welcome coffee
- 10:00 – 10:30 Introduction
- 10:30 – 11:10 Overview of the IF changes following the EU ETS Directive revision + Q&A – 10 mins (11:00-11:10)
- 11:10 – 11:30 Break / room change
- 11:30 – 13:00 Sector working sessions (parallel sessions):
- Session A: Aviation
- Session B: Industry decarbonisation, including substitute products
- 13:00 – 14:00 Lunch break
- 14:00 – 15:30 Sector working sessions (parallel sessions):
- Session C: Maritime
- Session D: Cleantech manufacturing, including renewables and energy storage
- 15:30 – 16:00 Coffee Break
- 16:00 – 16:45 Interactive discussion: Feedback from the sectoral workshop
- 16:45 PM – 17:00 Closing remarks & next steps
On the event page, you will also be able to access live streaming of the event.
The Innovation Fund is one of the world’s largest funding programmes for the demonstration and commercialisation of innovative low-carbon technologies. The Innovation Fund aims to bring industrial solutions to decarbonise Europe to the market and it is funded with revenues from the auctioning of allowances from the EU Emissions Trading System.
The Innovation Fund has already held two large-scale calls, awarding €1.1 billion and €1.8 billion in grants to 7 and 17 projects respectively (see the Innovation Fund Project Portfolio Dashboard) and launched a third one with a budget of €3 billion at the end of 2022. The European Commission has also held two calls for small-scale projects with total capital costs below €7.5 million, awarding around €160 million to 46 projects. A third call was launched in March 2023 with a budget of €100 million – applications are welcome until 19 September 2023.