ERTRAC workshop on non-exhaust emissions
INVITATION TO EXPERT WORKSHOP:
Emissions from road transport:
From exhaust to non-exhaust emissions – what challenges lie ahead to improve air quality?
Until today, debates on vehicle emissions, their environmental impacts and their regulatory frameworks were focused on tailpipe emissions. But, for a holistic approach, the road transport sector requires a new perspective on the emissions from future mobility technologies, looking now also at (but not exclusively) particles from tyres, brakes or other friction partners, and electromagnetic radiation. The workshop aims to detect the white spots in our knowledge and identify which topics require research activities, to improve air quality further.
The workshop will take place on Tuesday, 13 June, from 10:00 to 16:00 (Brussels time). It will be hosted at ACE (avenue d’Auderghem 22, 1040 Brussels) in a hybrid format. Participation on-site in Brussels is encouraged, for the quality of the discussions among experts and the networking. But the event will be also hosted online, allowing remote participation. Connection details will be sent to the registered participants.
Registration via email to email@example.com.
The event is free of charge. It is open to experts from industry, universities, research institutes, and relevant associations.
- 10:00-10:15 Introduction to the workshop: Stephan Neugebauer, ERTRAC Chairman, BMW Group, Director Global Research Cooperation; and Simon Edwards, ERTRAC Vice-Chairman, Ricardo, Global Director, Technology.
- 10:15-11:15 Overview of emission types in road transport: sources, relevance for health, current regulations. Presentation by CONCAWE: Giuseppe Valastro, Science executive Air Quality; and Athanasios Megaritis, Science associate Air Quality.
- 11:15-11:45 Brake particles: emission levels, mitigation technologies, research needs. Presentation by Brembo.
- 11:45-12:15 Tyre particles: emission levels, mitigation technologies, research needs. Presentation by TIP (Tire Industry Project): Domenico La Camera, Scientific Director.
- 12:15-13:15 Lunch break
- 13:15-13:45 Noise emissions: overview of sources, and impacts. Speaker TBC.
- 13:45-14:15 Emissions from road infrastructure. Presentation by FEHRL (Forum of European National Highway Research Laboratories): Thierry Goger, Secretary General.
- 14:15-14:45 Particles from ERS (Electrified Road Systems). Presentation by Siemens: Patrik Akerman, Head of eHighway Business Development.
- 14:45-15:45 Electromagnetic radiation. Presentation by AVL List: Horst Pfluegl, Global Research Coordinator.
- 15:45-16:00 Conclusions: Prof. Zissis Samaras, ERTRAC Vice-Chairman, Director LAT, University of Thessaloniki.