Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) – Call for Data
Working Group III of the IPCC is launching a call for quantitative data on climate footprints and cost for mitigation options within the transport sector. This call for data specifically focuses on results for land-based passenger and freight transport, as well as maritime transport, to be used for the Sixth Assessment Report (AR6).
The role of working group three of the IPCC is to assess and synthesize the literature on climate change mitigation. In doing this the IPCC collaborates with different branches of the scientific community on making the results of their research available in a structured and accessible form and trough this enabling transparent and rigorous assessments. The IPCC WGIII is now for the first time launching an official call for data from the life cycle assessment and transport research communities to support the sixth assessment cycle. The call provides a unique opportunity to contribute to a common data repository that will help inform the work of the IPCC WGIII.
Timeline for data submission, updating, and database publication
- 15th June 2020: Literature deadline. Literature for consideration by report authors must be submitted to publishers by this date.
- 15th June 2020: Data submitted by this date can be considered for inclusion in the AR6 second order draft of Working Group III.
- 30th November 2020: The database closes for submission of updated and/or new data.
- 19th January 2021: By this date, any preliminary data must have been finalized and updated based on an accepted paper or a published eligible report. Data not fulfilling this requirement will be removed from the assessment. No further updates are possible and the submitted data can no longer be withdrawn.
- 19th July 2021: Database publication following the publication of the AR6 of IPCC Working Group III when approved by the IPCC plenary.
You can find detailed information about the call for data, including background information about the effort, a description of the data we are requesting, information about eligibility for submission, information about the submission process (including a timeline), and the terms of the submission agreement here. You will also read a letter of support from the co-chairs of WGIII of the IPCC.